The original Court N.S. was built under the curacy of Fr. Kinsella, C.C. Monamolin in 1887 and opened for "business" on September 1st 1888. However there is irrefutable evidence of a National School serving Monamolin for some fifty years before 1888.

The 1901 Census shows Mr. James Brady and his wife Sarah as Master and Mistress in Court N.S.

A native of Meath, Brady was 36 years old when the Census was carried out and could have been the Headmaster or monitor when the school opened in 1888. However as his first two children were born in Wicklow it would suggest that himself and Sarah lived and taught in Wicklow.

They possibly moved to Court sometime around 1898 as their three year old daughter, Julia, was born in Wexford.

Interestingly neither James nor Sarah spoke Irish! The curate in Monamolin in 1901 was Fr. John Maher, a native of Wexford.

The building records from 1901 show that the school and schoolhouse stood on land owned by Richard B. Tompkins.

One hundred and twelve years after it first opened, the door where generations of Monamolin folk passed through, to be educated, still survives, complete with repair work carried out by Master Kavanagh in 1957!

The Church of Ireland teacher in 1901 was Esther Goff. Census Returns show clearly that she was also the Post Official.

In all probability she is the daughter of George and Margaret Goff who were the teachers at the Church of Ireland school in 1885 with George acting as the village Post Master.(Bassett's Wexford Borough Guide and Directory -1885)

Court N.S. was officially opened and blessed on Monday 16th September 1968. Seamus Kavanagh was head master with Mrs. Mary McDonald and Mrs. Siobhán Doyle as Assistant Teachers. There were 101 pupils on Roll that day

 

life saving academy

Contact Us

To get in touch see our contact details below, or visit the contact page.

Phone 053 93 89342
email info@courtns.ie
web www.courtns.ie

Back to Top
© 2020 Court National School Monamolin
Website by aztecdesign.ie